Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Fritz Froschhammer: 3 Bagatellen op. 7
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:42 pm 

This time I decided to post something special, what is perhaps (like the "Mozart"-Fantasia) not so well known in the usual piano repertory: 3 piano pieces by my father, who is composer, pianist and piano professor in the Richard-Strauss-Conservatory in Munich. I like them very much and played them quite often, so I thought it could also be interesting for you, to hear them.

I. Reifblumen (difficult to translate (it is also not a real existing word in german): it should be: flowers on a morning in winter, when they have some ice on the leaves and blooms)
II. Der Gärtner (The gardner)
III. Nacht (Night)

I hope you like it. It was on a Steinway piano (private concert in Lausanne 1.11.2005)

Julia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Well this is certainly something different. Not so well-known, indeed :)

Intrigueing repertoire, well-written for the piano, and very well executed by you. Not easy music to get to grips with. I wonder if the subtitles are ironic ? Not much feeling of frosted flowers in the first; that gardener is a stealthy, neurotic guy, and the night is troubled and scary.

The muffled sound quality, as if recorded under a blanket, does not help. It's very dull and recessed, and has a very low signal-to-noise ration (much hiss), and yet, there is some clipping in places. I would have enjoyed this more with a better recording. But all respect for playing what sounds like quite demanding music.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:24 pm 

You are right: the sound quality of this recording is not the best one. The microphone was actually behind one wall.:oops: Then :idea: I tried to compensate that adding some reverb and putting the loudness level up: It is even possible that it was better before.:shock: I have to hear it again...
There is also a good recording existing, from a concert in Theatre de Beausobre, made by a professional TV- team. The problem is just: at the moment I don`t have this, I should try to get it once, but this is always difficult...we`ll see

To that what you said about the pieces:
I. I don`t know, it seemed clear to me, to be like this
II. no it is not ironic: the gardner is working quite hard in his garden, he has to get all the weeds out.
III. and it is right: this is a night in the garden and it is really dangerous there, strange things are happening, more a kind of nightmare

Julia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:45 pm 

I heard it again...perhaps it is better that I send once the original version, before I tried to change reverb, loudness. Because one thing is clear: it was better before... :roll: :lol:

I. Reifblumen (difficult to translate (it is also not a real existing word in german): it should be: flowers on a morning in winter, when they have some ice on the leaves and blooms)
II. Der Gärtner (The gardner)
III. Nacht (Night)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:39 am 
Site Admin

Those a pretty compositions and advanced in style and harmony. I guess your father must be an experienced composer. Right?

I have no objections to put these up on the site if we get your fathers permission and biography. Not sure if I should put him up as a "Member Composer" or in the ordinary composer tree. He is not really a member. Perhaps through you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:29 pm 

Thank you for your comments, it would be really nice to have the pieces up on the site. I spoke to my father, of course he would be happy beeing listed at the site with the pieces (if necessary, he could write the permission in one e-mail).
He will send his bio and photo to me in the next days...then I will post it

Quote:
Those a pretty compositions and advanced in style and harmony. I guess your father must be an experienced composer. Right?

Yes, I think so. He studied composition in Munich with Peter Jona Korn, a student of Schönberg, Toch, Rubbra and Wolpe and is also teacher for composition in Munich conservatory.

Quote:
Not sure if I should put him up as a "Member Composer" or in the ordinary composer tree. He is not really a member. Perhaps through you.

like you want - but perhaps it is better that he is a member through me.
Greetings
Julia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:03 pm 

That's very profound piano playing. Your father can be proud of you!
Sorry that I seem to be hopeless old fashioned however - if I constantly listen to dissonant things I get headache with time. Anytime my ears need harmony.

Regarding the mood of the compositions I can connect the descriptions of piece I) and III) to the music.

However, can't help, but the "Gärtner" is no real gardner (who is supposed to be someone who does not work hard, instead beeing glad to spent endless hours in his lovely garden to indulge in his passion to pick weeds).

So Chris nailed the mood in his description:

techneut wrote:
that gardener is a stealthy, neurotic guy
:lol:

That does not dimish the composing achievement, just the title is confusing...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:16 pm 

Thank you, Olaf, for your nice words.
I agree with you that it is good for a gardner also to have some quiet moments, just having pleasure with his plants...only in that special moment, when the piece "took place", he was working :x :P (like my parents always do, instead of just sitting quietly at a bench.... :wink: )
Julia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:32 pm 

Here the bio and photo of my father:

Fritz Froschhammer was born in Munich in 1948. He studied composition with Peter Jona Korn and piano with Paula Schultheiß and Wilhelm Keilmann at the Richard-Strauss-Conservatory in Munich.
After obtaining his diploma, he continued his studies with prof. Renate Werner and prof. Jürgen Uhde at the Hochschule in Stuttgart. He finished with the concert diploma. In 1972, he won first prize at the piano competition held for all the conservatories in Germany.
Since 1978 he has been teacher of music theory, composition and piano at the Richard-Strauss-Conservatory in Munich.
He performs often as a chamber musician together with singers and instrumentalists, including the cellists Rudolf Metzmacher, Guido Schiefen, Ludwig Hoelscher and the violinists Josef Märkl and Florian Sonnleitner. As the pianist of the Wilhelm Kempff Ensemble, he made radio appearances and CD recordings of the compositions of his teacher Wilhelm Keilmann.
He composes mainly chamber music works (e.g. clarinet quartet, piano trio, sonata for oboe and piano).

Greetings
Julia

(see page for photo)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:04 am 
Site Admin

Julia, I have now put up your father as a composer on the site along with the recordings you did. I took the first set without the added reverb as I thought they sounded best.

One thing that I thought of was that your father might want to add some informational text (or you) regarding his compositions. It looks a little empty as it is now and I am pretty sure there is greater chance for someone downloading them if some text can catch their attention.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:08 am 

Thank you, Robert for creating the new page and putting the recordings up (it is good, you took the first version).
Quote:
One thing that I thought of was that your father might want to add some informational text (or you) regarding his compositions. It looks a little empty as it is now and I am pretty sure there is greater chance for someone downloading them if some text can catch their attention.

This is a good idea, I will think about this in the next time...
:) Thanks again and greetings also from my father!
Julia

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:05 pm 

Dear Robert,
finally my father made a little text to the compositions. It would be nice if you could add this:

The Bagatelles op. 7 were composed in 1989. They are written with a programmatic background idea:
I. Reifblumen ("Hoarfrost-flowers"): The first frost congeals the last flowers cloaked in crystals.
II. Der Gärtner (The gardner): The prodigious gardner loosens the soil like a mole.
III. Nacht (Night): Screened by the darkness, sinister insects come to power, theft and slauther ensue.

Thank you in advance. All the best after that "Setrakian-shock".
Greetings
Julia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks! I have added the text to the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:49 am 
Site Admin

You look a lot like your father. But prettier :D

I have taken the liberty to correct the errors in this text:
gardner -> gardener
slauther -> slaughter
screened by -> under cover of

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:29 pm 

juliapiano wrote:
:idea: Ah...Thats perfect. I didn`t notice that, wow you really know the english language.Thank you!

Can't help noticing these things 8)