Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Audition to be accepted as a pianist
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:44 pm 

This is my first audition piece for ya...

Rachmaninoff Etude-tableau in C minor, Op. 39, No. 1

The piano is a Bosendorfer Imperial 290.

What do you think? This is from a recording of a recital I did last month.

Josh Hillmann

Last edited by jlh on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:50 pm 

Contact techneut with a pm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Hm ! Despite my diligent cleaning up, we have over 1300 Mb of attachments whereas the quotum is 1000 Mb ! Wtf :? Strange that nobody did report a problem earlier. I guess we'll need to clean up even more. For now I have removed the quotum and I see Joshua has now uploaded his Rach ET.
Shame I cannot listen to it yet (can't download mp3's at work :cry: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:32 am 

That's a nice piano. I like Bosendorfers, somehow they are overshadowed by Steinway. (But not as much as Bechstein). Anyways, I can say that Mr. Techneut is missing out on a good recording. My critique is coming from a "general" listener, much like the dumbfounded people sitting at a recital who can only pick out tempo errors or blantant mistakes. I hear niether. Good job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, that woke me up! Great job. And great piano sound.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: Rach
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:08 pm 

Very well done! Bravo!

Where was your recital?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, great virtuosity there. Of course this is a fast and furious piece, but here it sounds too biting and neurotic (and at the same time, paradoxically, a bit too casually tossed off) for my taste. Perhaps it's because of the live recording, but I miss that all-Russian dark sonority and passion here. Just a little more leisure could do wonders here. All the same, damn I wish I could play it like that ...

If you wish for this to go up the site Joshua, please provide a bio and photograph. In that case, welcome to the gang !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:40 pm 

Joshua Hillmann, an American pianist born in St. Louis, Missouri, has entertained audiences for years as both a solo and collaborative artist with his energetic and colorful musical interpretations and outstanding technical ability. He began his studies at the age of 12 and within a year and a half was awarded First Place in his first local piano competition.

He is currently pursuing a Master of Music Degree in Piano Performance on scholarship at Arizona State University, studying with Dr. Baruch Meir. He received his Bachelor of Music degree in Piano Performance a tthe University of Kansas, studying with Dr. Jack Winerock, and gave solo and ensemble recitals as well as participated in multiple honor recitals during his career there. His earlier musical training came from the St. Louis Symphony Music School, studying with internationally known teacher Jane Allen. He was awarded 1st Place in October 2006 at the 1st WPPC PIANOvision Most Wanted Piano Competition: Etude Invitational, was an Alternate Winner of Arizona State University's Concert of Soloists Piano Concerto Competition in 2005, was Winner of the 2003 Kansas City Musical Club Collegiate Piano Competition, was awarded 1st Place in the Kansas Music Teacher's Association Collegiate Piano Competition in 2002, and Runner Up in 2001. He has also performed in masterclasses with Anne Schein, Hugh Sung, Philip Kawin and Arbo Valdma among others.

He has performed solo recitals in St. Louis, Kansas City, and Phoenix, and has performed the Mozart Piano Concerto in A Major K. 488 with the University of Kansas Symphony Orchestra, played piano for the KU production of Orff's Carmina Burana, and Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto with the Arizona State University Sinfonietta.

A member of the Music Teacher's National Association, Joshua has been teaching private and group piano for several years and currently teaches class piano at Arizona State University as a graduate teaching assistant.

An experienced studio musician and recording engineer, he has worked with BMI registered artist Mr. Walter, providing background piano and vocal tracks for recording projects as well as being in charge of audio editing and instrumental in mixing audio as well.

He has also been a member and/or director of several recording and touring vocal ensembles including His Presence (a high-school a cappella group that recorded 2 CD's and toured continental United States and Canada); he was a member of KU Jazz Singers and Chamber Choir; he was Music Director, bass singer and recording engineer/producer of the student a cappella group Genuine Imitation from the University of Kansas; he was a bass singer in the Kansas City Chorale and the ASU vocal jazz octet "Herberger Singers." He is currently a bass singer in the Phoenix Bach Choir, the ASU Chamber Singers and is also a bass soloist at Church of the Beatitudes in Phoenix.

Last edited by jlh on Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:35 pm 

techneut wrote:
Wow, great virtuosity there. Of course this is a fast and furious piece, but here it sounds too biting and neurotic (and at the same time, paradoxically, a bit too casually tossed off) for my taste. Perhaps it's because of the live recording, but I miss that all-Russian dark sonority and passion here. Just a little more leisure could do wonders here. All the same, damn I wish I could play it like that ...

Thanks for the comments! Could be, and that was sort of what I was going for on this one. My image while playing is almost that of a little "Scarbo" boogieman type of character that is fast and only comes out for brief moments.

The recital was at Katzin Concert Hall, Arizona State University.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:27 am 

While we're on the topic of the etudes-tableaux...

Here's a few more to add to the collection if they pass the audition:

From the same recital as the attachment above:
Etude-tableau in E-flat minor, Op. 33, No. 5
Etude-tableau in C-sharp minor, Op. 33, No. 9

From a recital in 2005 (Steinway):
Etude-tableau in D, Op. 39, No. 9

Obviously the same pianist as well... :wink:

Could you put my website in with my bio somewhere?

http://www.joshuahillmann.com

THANKS!

Last edited by jlh on Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:46 am 
Site Admin

jlh wrote:
Thanks for the comments! Could be, and that was sort of what I was going for on this one. My image while playing is almost that of a little "Scarbo" boogieman type of character that is fast and only comes out for brief moments.

Yeah the Scarbo analogy makes good sense, and you captured that well.

I'll listen to the new ET's tonight. I am sure they will "pass the audition" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Three more steel-tipped etudes-tableaux. I am much impressed with the technique and sheer drive, but I wonder if that might be too much of a good thing. I rather miss the expression and poetry which are always there even in the most fierce of his output. But good they are, and they are all up the site. Welcome !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:35 am 
Site Admin

Technically splendid, no doubt about that and musically very good too. I agree a bit with Chris that they are maybe a bit too furious played and while I think it is ok to do so, I wished it would contrasted with the opposite here and there.

But really, the recordings are very very good and I should stop niggle and just enjoy. Welcome to Piano Society! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:01 am 

All good suggestions, thanks!

I'm playing these with the exception of 39/9 in a competition in like 7 weeks. :D