Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Liszt - Consolation No. 3 in D flat major
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:11 pm 
Just registered yesterday so this is my first post.

Title: Consolation No. 3 in D flat major
Composer: Franz Liszt
Piano: 1918 Baldwin E baby grand - 5'8" - Rebuilt
Mics: Earthworks SR71

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hello, welcome, and a good first post it is ! Lovely played, very relaxed and thoughtful. Those important 4-against-3's are nicely done. Shame about that little slip in the smorzando section near the end, but ah well, these things happen.

A couple of remarks :

1) You consistently play the low bass note at the start of each bar. However, a number of them are tied over from the previous bar(s) and should not be struck, they only sort of re-sound because the pedal is briefly lifted on them. I guess if you have a sostenutmo pedal you could use that to keep them down.

2) You could make a little more contrast at the two places marked dolcissimo. These need to go softer and sweeter than the previous bars.

3) The crescendi do not really sound as such. In particular the last one, the only climax of the piece, should have more weight and drama so that you can then take back both the tempo and volume at the poco rit.

4) The final chord comes a bit too soon, taking in account neither the rit. or the note value of the penultimate chord.

But apart from point 1), just very minor niggles on an otherwise a very good account of this wonderful piece. Have you got other recordings to share ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:29 pm 
Thanks for your comments. It's nice to have some ears listen to my playing other than myself. I'm going keep those suggestions in mind and record this piece over when I get another chance.

Yes, I have other pieces that I have recorded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

Edahall wrote:
Thanks for your comments. It's nice to have some ears listen to my playing other than myself. I'm going keep those suggestions in mind and record this piece over when I get another chance.

I did not mean to imply you should rerecord it, it is good as it is. Let me know if you want this up the site, or want to wait until you have a new version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:15 pm 
Sure, I would be glad to have it put on this site. When I get a chance, I'm going to record it again and if the new version is better it can be replaced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:07 am 
Site Admin

Hello Edahall - that was so beautiful. This is my favorite Consolation - turns me into 'mush' everytime I hear it. The only thing is what Techneut said about the LH tied notes. In my score, it specifically marks to use the sostenuto pedal on all those low d-flats. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed this.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:07 am 
Site Admin

Edahall wrote:
Sure, I would be glad to have it put on this site. When I get a chance, I'm going to record it again and if the new version is better it can be replaced.

Ok. Can you mail me your bio and a photo, and I will take care of it. It may well take until the weekend though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:30 am 
Site Admin

You play it with romatism, grace and with a sensitive touch. Very good indeed despite the minor suggestions Chris mentioned!

But Edahall, we need your biography before this recording is put up on the site.

Post subject: Consolation
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:57 pm 

Beautiful! Like Pianolady, this is also my favorite one.