Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Latest update "well tempered clavier book2" by Bac
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:52 pm 

Hi guys,

I thought I should to some Bach for some respect. This meant to come up on his bithday, but I did not have enoght time to record the prelude.

Yes, I skiped the repeat sign in prelude. I normally would repeat if it was "DS FINE". I cheated.. :lol:
If you want to hear it twice, with the modern technology, you can just click"replay button" again. :P

I picked this piece, because, its a good piece to show the contrast of slow tempo vs fast tempo in 2/4 time especially in the fugue. also the voicings....

I hope you liked my interpretation.

Thanks

Bach - BWV 881 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier II - Prelude and Fugue No.11 in F minor

Last edited by johnmar78 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Bach
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:09 pm 

Good job, Johnmar. I particularly enjoyed the fugue. I haven't played it, but it sounds difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:49 pm 

Nice playing. I cannot tell you of any slips, I'm sure there are other who will dissect your playing. Why did you record the Prelude and Fugue seperately? Why not record them both at once? (Keeping the the Piano Society tradition?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:52 pm 

juufa72 wrote:
Nice playing. I cannot tell you of any slips, I'm sure there are other who will dissect your playing. Why did you record the Prelude and Fugue seperately? Why not record them both at once? (Keeping the the Piano Society tradition?)

I find its easier to do that way and so as my surroundings. My wife called me a crazy pianist...recording all the time.... . not only that, its easier to focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:05 am 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:
Why did you record the Prelude and Fugue seperately? Why not record them both at once? (Keeping the the Piano Society tradition?)

It is not necessary to record them in one go, I don't do that either (though always during one session). Just paste them together when postprocessing. It would indeed be preferable if the pianists submit it that way as postprocessing takes a long time on my slow PC. So John, can you stick them together in one track, with a suitable (short) pause in between ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:28 am 

I agree with previous posters - good job overall, and especially the fugue comes out very well. I especially like your distinct fugue theme phrasing, and you managed to keep that phrasing up almost throughout the fugue, through all voices.

Regarding repetitions, I would prefer to do them just like written. The prelude is short, so the repetition has it sense (after all it's the composers wish). To double it through copying would be cheating however, in my opinion.

techneut wrote:
It is not necessary to record them in one go, I don't do that either (though always during one session). Just paste them together when postprocessing.

I did it the same way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:57 pm 

Just paste them together when postprocessing. It would indeed be preferable if the pianists submit it that way as postprocessing takes a long time on my slow PC. So John, can you stick them together in one track, with a suitable (short) pause in between ?[/quote]

Thanks everyone. Chris..please I need a hand. as you know I dnt use any cut and paste stuff or editings in my recordings. And I have no software for it...Could you do me a favour paste both together with 4 - 5 sec apart from prelude-fugue. Since you are master in these softwares.I appreciate it very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:05 pm 

Since I have a fast computer, I can help you with that.

Get Audacity here. It's free and easy to use, at least with that copy&paste stuff.

Edit: Damn, I changed the compression rate to 160 kBit by accident... :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:52 pm 

Chaotica wrote:
Since I have a fast computer, I can help you with that.

Get Audacity here. It's free and easy to use, at least with that copy&paste stuff.

Edit: Damn, I changed the compression rate to 160 kBit by accident... :x

Wooh. TAHNK YOU very much and indeed. Thats is very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:07 pm 

IIRC, MP3 files can generally just be concatenated together. e.g., for Unixheads:
Code:
$ cat prelude.mp3 fugue.mp3 > prelude-and-fugue.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:19 am 

Chris, here you go two in one. and thanks to Chaotica who helped me to paste these two files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:28 am 

Hey John, this is really good.

Just because I can't leave well enough alone, I did a few things to your recording with Audacity:

I added reverb, eliminated frequencies in the 10,000-20,000 hertz range and boosted frequencies in the 110-440 hertz range.

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:04 am 

good work and good idea Pete. I have to listen both files-original vs yours tonight at home..so I can have a better preference next day...stay tuned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:47 am 

Quess what, I should keep up with the trend. . By adding reverb and add more bass, and eliminate high frequecncy hiss. It turned my "room" recording into a "concert hall".
I am happy now, how about you guys???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:11 am 

johnmar78 wrote:
Quess what, I should keep up with the trend. . By adding reverb and add more bass, and eliminate high frequecncy hiss. It turned my "room" recording into a "concert hall".
I am happy now, how about you guys???

That's the idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:04 am 
Site Admin

I listened to all these versions of the Well-Tampered Clavier :D

Solidly played, good dynamics, tempo, and (generally) rhythm. I think the prelude is a tad slow but the fugue is just right. There are some missing notes here and there (first and last par of the first part of the prelude for example), a couple of read errors and some slips, but nothing distracting. There are some places where you tend to rush or gloss over a tricky passage but rhythmically this is much better than anything I have heard from you before. Good job ! The voicing in the fugue could be more prominent but that is something that needs a lot of exposure to Bach.

The homely banter on the background is quite endearing but also distracting, especially right at the beginning and in the pause between the P and F (seems like Chaotica has copied and pasted in the middle, to fill up the gap, that so we hear your wife stuttering away). Pete's version does not have that. Shame about the revving car at the end of the fugue.

I am not too keen on Pete's reverb. It is terribly wet, making it sound like recorded in a swimming pool (pardon the pun). I'll have my go at this too, using by usual reverb which is more discreet, and post it. I'll also cut out the background chat from the beginning and middle. I am not sure if the bass boost and high cut are really worthwhile here.

Thanks Chaotica and PJF for your volunteer work !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:57 am 

techneut wrote:
(seems like Chaotica has copied and pasted in the middle, to fill up the gap, that so we hear your wife stuttering away)

Yes, I took a second from the very beginning because I didn't want to copy a part with piano reverb. Was a bad idea, it seems, but my sister was already sleeping so I couldn't relisten to this with high volume. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Heres the pair with CoolEdit 'Light Concert Hall' reverb, 3Db volume boost, but no additional equalizing. I replaced the noisy start with silence and inserted only a very short pause. The trend is that the fugue starts hard on the heels of the prelude, at least that is how I have recently been doing them. I think this reverb is not as wet as the one applied by Pete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:10 pm 

Hi Chris and Pete, both of your edited files are equally good. One is more solid touch than other but one also has more depth...... so I am happy with it.

Post subject: new take
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:48 pm 

Hi guys,

I went home last night re do the fugue only-took me 15 minutes. This time I have eliminated the rushness in the middle passage of fugue mentioned by Chris. I also further reinforced the "subject" and "answer".all vocings. I felt that I dnt want over doing it. When Bach wrote this was for harpsichord and organ. piano were not invented. If you hear the haricichord version of this, the voicings are not as clear as in piano.

Chris, I noticed the prelude LH no sound in the beginning-2 bar,,,,my touch was too light????

I use urtex version edited by Warrem Thompson(Australian Exam Board Director). This version also has the original photo copied version of bach hand written score in light brown colour ink?(very tidy, but hard to give a quick sight read). The score also comes with "analysis".

Tell you the truth, I have done this piece for my exams 13 years ago, but never had a chance to recorded. It was my first serious Bach playing 4 weeks to revamp this piece on recorder.

Chris, Pete, Chaotica thanks for helping me in learning the "sound editor", and I hope you liked my interpretation for the last time...

Ps. i self added two shakes at the end, but its my interpretation ok....but no one noticed it :P

This time no more car noise at the end. I have blown his car apart. :wink:

Last edited by johnmar78 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: new take
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:33 am 
Site Admin

johnmar78 wrote:
Chris, I noticed the prelude LH no sound in the beginning-2 bar,,,,my touch was too light????

How would I know ????

johnmar78 wrote:
Tell you the truth, I have done this piece for my exams 13 years ago, but never had a chance to recorded. It was my first serious Bach playing 4 weeks to revamp this piece on recorder.

This piece would not sound good at all on a recorder :lol:

johnmar78 wrote:
This time no more car noise at the end. I have blown his car apart. :wink:

Damn tooting right ! That'll teach him :lol:

This is surely better than the first version. Tempo and rhythm are steady. The first half is pretty solid, but in the second half there are a number of slips, misreadings, and hesitations which should perhaps be taken care of. Very decent Bach playing though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

I assume this is the "final version" that should go up the site ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:56 pm 

techneut wrote:
I assume this is the "final version" that should go up the site ?

By all means, thank Chris......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

The last version is up, and I deleted all others.

Bach - BWV 881 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier II - Prelude and Fugue No.11 in F minor