Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Schumann Kinderszenen, Der Dichter spricht
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:47 am 

All comments and discussion are very welcome!

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:00 am 

At first the tempo felt like it would have to be too slow, but I was pretty quickly persuaded. This sounds almost otherworldly. Bravo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:07 am 

Thanks! I did't play it, I dreamed it.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Beautiful, Pete.
The copy I looked at has no tempo marking. Therefore, you are the Poet and can speak however fast or slow you want.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:58 am 
Site Admin

That was beautiful indeed, in terms of touch, expression and dynamics. Very poetic !

Some observations though :

- My Peters score as the tempo as 112 to a quarter note. That is more than twice as fast as you play it :shock: That seems rather brisk... I guess the truth must be found somehwre in between - your version is IMO really too slow.

In bars 6 and 18, you must let go of the G sharp after the end of the 2nd beat. Unless your score has it as a full note - in mine it's a half. Actually I have always wondered why Schumann did not write an extra A here to resolve that G sharp - perhaps it was not meant to be resolved.

I am not sure what you are doing in the middle of the cadenza. You may want to check up on that.

And lastly, I did not hear the B in the final chord. Do you have to roll or jump to play that ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:05 pm 

Thanks for the kind words, everybody!

Chris, all your observations are spot-on. You must have a really big headache!

Indeed, I'm not sure why I did a couple of odd things to the cadenza. I probably could take it a bit faster, too. About the omitted B, my thumb pressed the key so gently, I didn't give the hammer enough momentum to make any sound! I'll just have to fix it, then.

Incidentally, I can reach the chord, no problem; maybe if I rolled it, the notes would sound more reliably. There's a fine line between a very softly played tone and no tone at all. (Or I could be an artsy-fartsy smartass and say it was a ppppppppp.) :lol:

Pete

Post subject: Schumann
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:11 pm 

I liked it even this slow. It makes it sound more mystic.

Good idea with the "pppppppppp" dynamic comment. I'm going to steal it from you as the lack of sound often happens to me when I try to play pianissimo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:47 am 

At first it sounded unusual slow to me but it is not impossible slow. Double the tempo would be too fast, maybe a slightly faster tempo would easen to pecept the melody still as a line and not as single notes.

I think Chris is right, especially for those slow pieces should be every note there.

I don't think it is easy to play that calm and soft. In fact, very soft and nevertheless evenly playing shows who has truely relaxed hands and fingers combined with sensitive hearing and who has not, so I think (of course also a question of an appropriate piano too). You have a VERY good keytouch, combined with good technique, what your Chopin Etudes show. You are still young and will go very far, that's for sure!

PJF wrote:
There's a fine line between a very softly played tone and no tone at all. (Or I could be an artsy-fartsy smartass and say it was a ppppppppp.)

You are so right - much too often I fall behind the line, and the intended pp turns into nothing, because the hammer pegs out on the way to the string... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:51 am 
Site Admin

PJF wrote:
(Or I could be an artsy-fartsy smartass and say it was a ppppppppp.) :lol:

What do you mean, could be ? :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:32 pm 

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:29 am 
Site Admin

I have missed this one. Sorry!

This is slow and even very slow and I am not convinced about the choosen tempo. And as Chris says, in this tempo, every note must be there and I do not feel it is really perfect so I hope I do not break your heart by saying that a re-recording is necessary before this one goes up? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:32 pm 

No heartbreak here, Robert! I agree with the general concensus that it is too slow.

For the record, I always want everyone's most honest and forthright opinion possible!!! I'm not posting recordings here to get automatic laudations, but rather to improve my playing and share those improvements and/or insights with everyone in the pianistic community.

Critiques are most welcome!

Pete