Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Dvorak - Slavonic Dances (4h)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, this is just for fun... Recorded during piano lesson this afternoon. We always play some of the Dvorak dances to end with. You'll have to pardon some fumbling of mine (I play the high part), frantic page turns in the 46-1, and the next pupil cheerfully barging in near the end of the 72-2. The spirit is there, I think, and Evelina's rock solid secondo part saves the day :D It's not exactly site quality, but perhaps you'll enjoy it.

Dvorak - Slavonic Dances Op.46 - 1: Presto
Dvorak - Slavonic Dances Op.46 - 2: Allegretto Scherzando
Dvorak - Slavonic Dances Op.72 - 2: Allegretto grazioso

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:57 pm 

Reminds me of Paganini for some reason.

Where was the recorder placed? Because during the opening of the 46/1 it sounded a little distant from the bass.

Me like though. Me like.

You should've started to scream as loud as possible at the person who disturbed you. How rude! I know how it feels: my parents like to make noises (doors, windows, TV--really really really loud!, talking, phone calls) and "JULIUSSSS!!!!!!! Come here!" thats when I become frustrated and start to pound the keys in a tantrum while screaming like a child! Gah! It bugs the heck out of me when I am disturbed. :evil:

Last edited by juufa72 on Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

Those were really nice. Aside from that interruption at the end, and the sound of something like the bench squeaking, these were played well. They sound hard, so I guess I won't be playing them with my teacher. :cry:

You should keep these up here. Maybe you and Robert can create a separate section just for duets. I think people would be interested in going to the category, "Duets" when they are looking for a new duet to play.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:46 pm 

That was well done :D

Pete :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:00 am 
Site Admin

Hey! I thought we two were going to do the Slavonic Dances. Are you cheating on me? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:58 am 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
Hey! I thought we two were going to do the Slavonic Dances. Are you cheating on me? :cry:

Would I cheat on you :wink: Yes we are going to, if you ever get your @ss over here. I'd rather play them on my Gaveau than on Evelina's perpetually out-of-tune Yamaha upright with the noise of all Amsterdam in the background. But I'll really need to practice them then, unlike just dashing them off as here.

Jeez, juufa.... Paganini, of all composers :x The difference could hardly be greater. I hate Paganini's music almost as much as I love Dvorak's (though admittedly P. invented one or two striking tunes). I could not well scream at the next pupil coming in as she was dead on time, and of course could not know we were recording. Yeah irritating it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:03 am 
Site Admin

Very refreshing and not bad at all. Some out of sync here and there but that is very difficult and for sure, we would have that problem too as we have never played together. I hear the page turns but wonder how you two do it? In the version I have, there are separate scores for bass and treble so do you just throw them to the floor? You Chris to the right and Evelina to the left. That should make a nice video :D.

I should get my ass over there as we now have an office there but I somehow never seem to get the time...and to be honest, I have not practised enough yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:26 am 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
I hear the page turns but wonder how you two do it? In the version I have, there are separate scores for bass and treble so do you just throw them to the floor? You Chris to the right and Evelina to the left. That should make a nice video :D.

Yeah sounds like it, does it not :lol:
It is always an adventure to decide who's going to do the next page turn. It is not normally a problem except in such a fast and furious piece as the nr.1 when there's really not enough time. I have this rather small Dover score, with both parts next to each other. It would be better to have separate scores indeed, except it would probably make twice the noise (although only half as often).

robert wrote:
I should get my ass over there as we now have an office there but I somehow never seem to get the time...and to be honest, I have not practised enough yet.

Neither have I... But if something can ever be arranged, time should be allocated for preparation. I am looking forward to that. Just keep in mind that 2nd half of April is not an option as we will be redecorating the house and laying new carpet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:48 am 

That was passionate played from you both!

Yes, that should go up the site. Sounds pretty difficult too, can't imagine to play those pieces just for fun at the end, as if it is nothing much to prepare for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:29 am 
Site Admin

MindenBlues wrote:
Yes, that should go up the site.

Should it :? Pretty rickety playing on my part, and the sound and balance is not exactly optimal...

MindenBlues wrote:
Sounds pretty difficult too, can't imagine to play those pieces just for fun at the end, as if it is nothing much to prepare for.

Well we have played these at least 6 or 8 times now, and I have actually been practising the nr 1 a bit at home. Indeed you do not just sit down and play these, certainly not the lively ones. It helps that I know them intimately from their orchestral version (the old DG set with Rafael Kubelik and the BRSO is unbeatable), and Evelina has played them with other people many times before.

I can tell you it is great fun playing 4-handed, especially when Dvorak wickedly lets the primo and secondo parts play the same keys or even overlap (an extra dimension to hand crossing :wink: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:05 pm 

techneut wrote:
MindenBlues wrote:
Yes, that should go up the site.

Should it :? Pretty rickety playing on my part, and the sound and balance is not exactly optimal...

Maybe it is so. But I feel the passion and fire and fun you had while playing, especially in the first two items. That's what count so much (can't help to refer to the current "where is everybody" thread in the general section)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm yes, a cleaner version of the no.1 would probably not have the same sort of reckless abandon. I still think these are too embarrassing to go up though. Shame that the 3rd is interrupted near the end as that is our favourite so far and we were really getting into it by then. Next time perhaps we should put a 'do not disturb' sign on the door :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:44 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Those were really nice. Aside from that interruption at the end, and the sound of something like the bench squeaking, these were played well. They sound hard, so I guess I won't be playing them with my teacher. :cry:

You should keep these up here. Maybe you and Robert can create a separate section just for duets. I think people would be interested in going to the category, "Duets" when they are looking for a new duet to play.

Oops, forgot to acknowledge this reply... Glad you liked them. These Dances are not trivial, but not so hard that you could not play them if you set your mind to it. Not if you can play Brahms and Chopin ! Go for it as this is the most spontaneous and refreshing of music.

I am unsure about having these on the site. We've played these a couple of times before, but apart from that they were unrehearsed, and it shows (at least on my part).

Post subject: 2 pianos
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:36 pm 

What a lot of fun to play as well as to hear! It's great that you have a teacher to play these with. I think they should go up on the site.

Post subject: Re: 2 pianos
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

John Robson wrote:
What a lot of fun to play as well as to hear! It's great that you have a teacher to play these with. I think they should go up on the site.

I am glad it is fun to hear (I thought it would be :) ). Can't quite explain what it is about playing 4-hands. It's got a bit of a musty salon image I guess, but it is exhilarating especially if you can let rip like here. Evelina enjoys it every bit as much as I do. I'll see if we can re-record these (and more) with less flubs in my part and a better balance - it is currently tipped to the left, mostly because she has a much more assertive tone than I have.