Felix Mendelssohn

Upload new recordings for evaluation and discussions. Acoustic instruments preferred, although digital is allowed. MIDI or other digitally rendered/manipulated recordings will not be admitted.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

Felix Mendelssohn

Postby Anonymous » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:18 am

Site Admin

Postby robert » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:37 pm

When someone mentions a piano sonata in B flat major Op. 106, one can only think of one: Beethoven's Hammerklavier! What are the odds of another sonata in B flat major that just happens to be an Op. 106?

Since this work of Mendelssohn was posthumously published, it certainly wasn't deliberate on Mendelssohn's side. Even more peculiar is the first Allegro movement which actually does resemble the first movement of the Hammerklavier. It's almost a petite version of it and this movement is purely inspired by Beethoven and still fresh with delightful Classical ideas. The Andante movement is stunningly beautiful and contains one of Mendelssohn's loveliest streams of melodies and modulations. The last movement is just as engaging, with gorgeous arpeggios and frolicking rhythms.

I believe in your recording Setrak that you have understood this and implements the classical musical ideas with Mendelssohn's romantic era in a perfect manner. Pure technically, the recordings are excellent and must be the result of a careful study of this Sonata!

The recordings are up on the site.

Postby Anonymous » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:39 pm

You are very perfect in your analyzing Robert, I agree with you, your musical knowledge is very high and perfect, congratulations to you.

Today I will post Weber's Sonata no. 3 in D minor, op. 49 J. 206 Complete, It's Live performing and recording in 1989

Postby rachmaninoff » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:26 pm

first and third movement are the same... I think
music is enough for lifetime but lifetime isn't enough for music 'rachmaninoff'

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'

Site Admin

Postby techneut » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:47 pm

rachmaninoff wrote:first and third movement are the same... I think

All these 4 links were to the 1st movement. I've corrected that.
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer

Postby Anonymous » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:40 pm

Wow, that was excellent! I'm not a huge Mendolsohn fan but that made me want to listen to it...very impressive, keep it up.

download new piano music at mattgreenecomposer.com

Postby schmonz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:01 pm

Very easy listening and it is always instructive to listen to familiar composers in unfamiliar works. Mendelssohn surprises me at 1:05 and 1:10, where the melody plays the 7th scale degree over a V6 (so the leading tone is doubled), approached by similar motion, and on a strong beat! Certainly I'm not allowed to do that on my composition homework. But then I suppose the rules are different once one gets past Opus 100. :-)

Return to “Audition Room”