Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: William Lawes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:45 pm 

Hi everyone, just a (rather esoteric) query regarding a Baroque composer. Does anyone know how much keyboard music William Lawes wrote and where it might be obtained? I've only found two of his keyboard pieces (a saraband and a symphony), which are in Associated Board baroque anthologies. I'm not sure if he wrote much more, as I know he wrote a lot of chamber music.

Any help gratefully received, thanks.

Post subject: Re: William Lawes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Great that you're interested in old music ! I love it too, especially the Italian variety (if you want a real treat, check out the Ensemble Micrologus on YouTube).

I knew the name Lawes but not his music. Having sampled some on YT, it is lovely and noble music. Nothing for keyboard alas. There is mention of keyboard music (a suite) but it's nowhere to be found on the web. So I'm sorry I cannot help. Should you find something I'd be keen to know though !

There's always Blow, Bull, or Purcell as possible English alternatives.

Post subject: Re: William Lawes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:59 pm 

Hi, thanks for your reply.

William Lawes' consort sets for viols are very good and well worth exploring. The harmonies are very dark and unusual for the time; I think his music fell out of fashion for a long time for that reason.

Re the keyboard music, I've found 5 pieces so far. Two are in Associated Board books (Baroque Keyboard Pieces): a Saraband and a Symphony. These are short, relatively easy pieces, but still sound quite haunting when played on an organ. I've also found an Almaine (Allemande, presumably) and a King's Corante and a King's Ayre on an American sheet music site. It's interesting stuff. I think there is a suite - somewhere - but it's probably long out of print and I haven't been able to find it yet (this is where university connections would come in useful!)