Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Beethoven's Sonatas
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:38 pm 

I'm studying for my Grade 6 piano and have books with all of Beethoven's Sonatas and was just wondering which ones you would recommend - quite slow if possible :P
I'm already learning the obvious - C# minor Moonlight Sonata.
Any help would really be appreciated. :D
xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:04 am 

Do you want whole sonatas or just one movement? Because the rest of the 27/2 sonata, particularly the third movement, is anything but slow.

The easiest whole sonatas are probably the Op. 49 sonatas, the 19th and 20th sonatas. But most of the sonatas have a slow, easy movement like the first movement of the moonlight, though that is definitely one of the easiest, as far as technique goes. Try the middle movement of the Pathetique, Op. 13, for instance. It's not easy, but it's a great deal less difficult than most Beethoven sonata movements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:33 am 

do Sonatinas count? If so, look at some of them. I can't play any Beethoven sonata (except the cliche moonlight) because they are too difficult for me. I recall stumbling along a somewhat managable sonatina; though I forgot what number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:59 pm 

I have seen the Op. 49 sonatas in 'sonatina' compilations. They really aren't difficult (I bet Juuf could handle them, despite what he says), and they are more musically interesting the sonatinas, which were written when Beethoven was very young. Well, the Op. 49 sonatas were too (despite their high opus number). I can't recall exactly, but I think that the Op. 49 sonatas were composed around the same time as the sonatinas, and Beethoven originally called all of them 'sonatas'. The Op. 49 were the only ones of those he thought worth publishing, and the others were published after his death without an opus number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:44 pm 

Thank you so much, I'll try them all out :D xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:31 am 

Most editions of the Beethoven sonatas don't have the sonatinas (apparently, this edition is the only one that does have them). I read up on the Op. 49 sonatas, and it seems that even Beethoven didn't think they were fit for publication; his brother decided to publish them, against Beethoven's wishes. They are really nice pieces, though, if not as heavy as his other sonatas.