Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Debussy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:11 pm 
Hey I was just wondering about your opinions on Debussy! He is my favorite composer of all time! What are your favorite pieces by Debussy? What do you think about his Images- "Reflets Dans L'eau" ... And i've always asked myself this question! Why didn't he make a piano concerto?! I wish he did! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:31 am 
Site Admin

I can never quite warm to his orchestral music, not even La Mer, but his mature piano output is great. The Images, Estampes and Etudes are the absolute top. I also have a soft spot for L'Isle Joyeuse. The 2-piano suite En Blanc et Noir is terrific (full of troubling war-time sounds) as is the Berceuse Heroique. His early works are not always very distinctive - could have been written by anyone trying his hand in a late-romantic style.
Not a top composer IMO, but certainly a very important one especially for the piano.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:30 pm 
Well, he did write a Fantasy for piano and orchestra I believe. He wrote wonderful piano music, but I'm not quite a huge fan of his orchestra works as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:38 pm 

He is definately in my top 5 or 10.

As for his piano works, I really like his Estampes, Images and some minor works and suites (2 Arabesques, Suite Pour le Piano, Suite Bergamasque).
His Etudes are great as well. IMO his preludes form the base for a style of writing, a seperate one, a kind ancestor of the modern classical music. Dispite that, his Preludes have always let me cold. It doesn't matter how I listen to them, I just can't seem to "understand" them. Maybe a bit too modern for my taste. I did The Girl with the Flaxen Hair, but I rushed through the piece and now I probably forgot it. That's probably one of preludes that I do like. I find the Sunken Cathedral very boring. Sorry. Debussy is a great man, as composer probably in my top 10 or 5, but his Preludes, I just don't get.

I truely LOVE his orchestral works. La Mer is so beautiful, so are his Petite Suite and all those other pieces. I don't know very much about orchestral music, but I really like Debussy's at least, more than Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, and Mahler.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:28 pm 
I do love his Preludes Everything, even his orchestral works... Yes it might be a bit modern, but you have to learn to appreciate it! It's great! And then there's Chopin one of my fav composers as well everything that he wrote makes sense to me except his piano concerto i never quite got it, i expected more from his part!

Post subject: Debussy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:48 am 

Debussy has very complex compoositions, I LOVE EM to death tho, my favorite works are: Arabesques No.1, Passepied, Reverie, Claire de Lune of course, Estampes, La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin, Ballade, and Valse Romantique is one people should listen that is not that well known, I've actually never heard of La Mer! People comment that his music sounds like he plays underwater! Thats ridculously funny, but sometimes true :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:10 pm 
Yes it's very mistic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:22 pm 

after chopin debussy is my favorite composer. not quite being fond of most orchestral pieces i dont really like his orchestra works either but for the piano i like his arabesque in e, ballade, nocturne in Db major, doctor gradus ad parnassum (it's so fun), all of suite bergamasque, and the pour le piano suite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:19 am 
Strongly agree, there are some pieces that are unrecognized by the public, like his Nocturne in Db 2nd arabesque, some of children's corner, L'isle Joyeuse... But if you really listen to it, they're all masterpieces and are full of impressionism so, i'd suggest listening to all his pieces before you judge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:34 am 

TheKlavier wrote:
they're all masterpieces and are full of impressionism so, i'd suggest listening to all his pieces before you judge.

i was just listing the ones that popped into my mind, i know i forgot so many.
his preludes are fantastic, so is Reflets dans L'Eau (Reflections in the water), his relatively unknown mazurka, oh and Tarentelle Styrienne

does anyone like his etudes? I think that they're a little.......eccentric, not quite what I'd call concert etudes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:57 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
does anyone like his etudes? I think that they're a little.......eccentric, not quite what I'd call concert etudes

His etudes are absolute masterpieces, not so much eccentric as totally original, and by far transcending the traditional idea of 'concert etudes'. To woo and dazzle an audience, indeed one would probaly look for more conventional virtuoso fare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:37 pm 

I like Debussy better with more form, and when his harmony resembles function more strongly. I'm down with Impressionistic color (I'm a jazz fan, so how could I not be?) but I dislike the pieces that just wander all over the place without really saying much of anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:19 pm 

He's well within my top 5 (at least, if not top 3). I don't think there's any other composer who represents such a kind of bridge between the 19th century and the new musical world of the 20th century. I like his use of "floating tonality" (I think there's a special term for that), floating above the tonal world, so to speak, but not yet taking off line Schönberg did.