Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Your favorite chamber pieces
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:40 pm 

Hello all,

I would like to compile a track of chamber works and I am asking you to tell me what I should include? (I will listen to it when I "study" so the more, the merrier!)

So far I have:

Brahms Piano Quintet F-minor op.34
Dvorak Piano Quintet No. 2
Dvorak Piano Trio No. 4
Elgar Piano Quintet A-minor op.84
Schubert Piano Quintet "Trout" D.667

What are your favorites? What other "goodies" am I missing and should have?

Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:40 pm 

Some of my favorites are:
-Rachmaninoff: Cello Sonata in G Minor, Op. 19
-Ravel: Piano Trio in A Minor
-Debussy: Piano Trio in G Major, L. 3 (horribly neglected work)
-every single Fauré violin sonata, cello sonata, piano quartet, piano quintet, and his piano trio
-Fauré: Après un rêve for Piano & Cello (transcription)
-Chopin: Cello Sonata in G Minor, Op. 65
-Chopin: Piano Trio in G Minor, Op. 8
-Grieg: violin sonatas, Opp. 8, 13, and 45
-Medtner: Piano Quintet in C Major, Op. posth
-Tchaikovsky: Piano Trio in A Minor, Op. 50
-3rd movement (Andante) of Brahms's Piano Quartet #3 in C Minor, Op. 60

There are still a lot of chamber pieces I haven't listened to (like Medtner's violin sonatas and Grieg's cello sonata), but those are pretty much my favorites. If there are any of those that you haven't listened to, I would highly recommend listening now!

"When one does a thing, it appears good, otherwise one would not write it. Only later comes reflection, and one discards or accepts the thing. Time is the best censor, and patience a most excellent teacher." - Frédéric Chopin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:54 pm 

I've personally always liked Rachmaninoff's Elegiac Trio in D Minor...

But I know that not everybody does...

But ... ... yeah. I like it... :shock:

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:30 pm 

That piece is really beautiful. The only reason I didn't put it up on my list was because it's so long and I don't think I've ever listened to the whole thing through, but I've heard many really gorgeous fragments.

I know, I know, how could I have listened to Tchaikovsky's incredibly long trio then? It was at a concert, so I kind of was forced to :o .

"When one does a thing, it appears good, otherwise one would not write it. Only later comes reflection, and one discards or accepts the thing. Time is the best censor, and patience a most excellent teacher." - Frédéric Chopin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:00 pm 

Did Bach compose chamber music with the keyboard? (I would assume that the main instrument was the haprsichord no the piano).

I never listened to any of Bach's chamber pieces for other instruments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:18 pm 

Poulenc flute sonata
Schubert's Die schöne Müllerin

Those are the only two I can think of at the moment that have really made an impression on me as an accompanist, other than some single songs. I also like the Hindemith trumpet sonata but I really wouldn't recommend it to play for fun. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

I won first place with that flute onata in a competition back in 19??. Out of all my flute solos, that was my favorite too. Do you still you know the piano part, Terez? I can maybe play some of the flute part. That is if I can find my flute. Haven't seen it since Christmas.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:12 pm 

chopinman0901 wrote:
That piece is really beautiful. The only reason I didn't put it up on my list was because it's so long and I don't think I've ever listened to the whole thing through, but I've heard many really gorgeous fragments.

I know, I know, how could I have listened to Tchaikovsky's incredibly long trio then? It was at a concert, so I kind of was forced to :o .

Yeah... it is REALLY long... even I have difficulties with it sometimes... but it is really beautiful though. I think it's severly underplayed. If I had a friend who played the violin, and another who played cello, I'd totally go and learn this with them... but, alas! I only have a violist (violaist? I don't know the spelling... she plays viola!!!)

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:14 pm 

Okay this is so weird! Right as I read the above two posts about the Poulenc flute sonata, the said sonata's first movement started playing on my iPod! I had it on shuffle, so it was just sheer coincidence. Considering I had 2,570 songs on my iPod, this is so strange!

I've actually just started to get into Poulenc, and boy have I been missing out! The nocturnes, the improvisations, the intermezzi, they're all so wonderful! Okay, back on topic. His flute sonata is really nice. I was never too fond of the flute (ever since I miserably played it in band in 3rd grade and quit shortly after), but - while this didn't change my opinion completely - the sonata is definitely a great piece. It's just so...... unlike anything I've ever heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:58 am 

Poulenc trio for piano, oboe, and bassoon. it's a fun peice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:19 am 

pianolady wrote:
I won first place with [Poulenc's] flute sonata in a competition back in 19??. Out of all my flute solos, that was my favorite too. Do you still you know the piano part, Terez? I can maybe play some of the flute part. That is if I can find my flute. Haven't seen it since Christmas.

I haven't played it in 10 years, but I would re-learn it for you...if you lived anywhere near me. :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:38 am 
Site Admin

I don't know as much chamber music as I should, but to me Brahms and Dvorak are the twin peaks in the genre. All the Brahms sonatas are at the absolute top (but then, everything by Brahms is).
Dvorak's piano trios are heavenly (but then, everything by Dvorak is).
This is not to underestimate Faure, Schumann, Rachmaninov, etc... and of course... Bach :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:52 pm 

Oh yeah...Schubert's Fantasy in F minor for two pianos. That's chamber music. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:43 pm 

OH!

I completely forgot to mention Shostakovich's String Quartet No. 8 in C Minor!

That one is just awesome in every way imaginable... pretty much the entire thing is based around the DSCH motif, and it has all these cool little symbolic refrences to his being oppressed by communism... cool stuff. The first movement is really beautiful, and the second is just... wow. The other three movements are pretty cool too... it's just an amazing piece.

I'm sure the other string quartets are good too... I just haven't gotten around to listening to them yet... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:08 pm 

DSCH motif? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:05 pm 

juufa72 wrote:
DSCH motif? :?:

It's the composers initals, musically notated. Similar to the BACH motif. However, this one would be: D - Eb - C - B.

I forget why... but aparently there's some reason that S can be equivalant to an Eb...

It's a wonderful motif....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:03 pm 

I had the pleasure of attending a two-piano recital last night, with performers Mary Chung and Amanda Virelles, both of whom are doctoral candidates at my school, for piano performance. The purpose of the recital was to show off a new Steinway bought for the Gulf Coast campus of my school, and they also used the Steinway from Hattiesburg that was just purchased a couple of years ago. So, two nice, new Steinways. :D The program was:

Mozart Sonata in C major K 545, arranged for two pianos by Grieg
Rachmaninoff Suite No. 2 Op. 17
"Music from Latin America":
Libertango, by A. Piazzola
Los muñecos, by I. Cervantes
Introduccion y Danza, by J.F. Garcia
Malagueña, by E. Lecouna

The Mozart was nice but not really all that great...it's a well-known sonata (the tweety bird sonata!), and all Grieg did was add some harmony and embellishment to it. The Rachmaninoff was great - I especially love the last movement, the Tarantella. The second and third Latin pieces I seem to remember being sort of repetitive, but I really liked the Libertango and the Malagueña. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:23 am 
Site Admin

Sounds like it was a good concert. I like that Libertango piece a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:49 am 

Hey Monica, you can hear Amanda play some Granados here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, thanks. I just listened to her Granados. She is indeed a very good player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:13 am 

I hope I can talk some of these guys into posting their files here, since they already have recording habits and all. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:32 am 

I'd like to mention Clara Schumann's piano trio in G minor here. It's quite a charming, albeit unjustly neglected work, which I was lucky enough to play last year. It's a bit reminiscent of Mendelssohn, although the piano part isn't quite as stupendous. :)

If you'd like to get acquainted with the work, here's our live recording of the 3rd movement, a delightful Andante.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:08 am 

Why don't you put it in the Audition Room, François? Would it not be okay with your co-performers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:20 am 
Site Admin

demonic_advent wrote:
I forget why... but aparently there's some reason that S can be equivalant to an Eb...

"Es" is the German name for E-flat. Just as "H" is the German name for "B". This gives composers some flexibility in playing name games.

But sometimes it gets really far-fetched - like Ravel with his menuet on the name of Haydn, using the notes B-A-D-D-G. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:00 am 

Nobody has mentioned the famous Schumann Piano Quintet yet? It's amazing! (I'm not sure if he wrote more than one... the one I'm thinking of is in.. E?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:42 pm 
François Micol wrote:
I'd like to mention Clara Schumann's piano trio in G minor here. It's quite a charming, albeit unjustly neglected work, which I was lucky enough to play last year. It's a bit reminiscent of Mendelssohn, although the piano part isn't quite as stupendous. :)

If you'd like to get acquainted with the work, here's our live recording of the 3rd movement, a delightful Andante.

Thank you for this live recording. Sounds like a very nice, tranquil piece.
Oh wait, now its dramatic. Oh here it comes back again...

It has a bit of everything, the recapitulation is remnicient of late Beethoven, Clara was a true genius and the unsung hero of Roberts Schumann's celebrity. The ending coda is much like Mendelssohn.

Thank you for your efforts and practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:09 pm 

Has anyone mentioned the two Mendelssohn piano trios, op. 49 and 66? These are really beautiful works, in my humble opinion. Together they'd give you about an hour of glorious music for your listening pleasure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:52 pm 

Well as of now, I love the Weber Trio in G Minor for flute, cello and piano.

I am doing a festival this summer and me and my group were assigned to work on the finale of that work. The piano part is pretty difficult but I am determined to get it :D

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke