Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:52 am 

I think that's what's so wonderful about Scriabin. He can bring you unexpected notes and harmonies, yet it only adds to the music.

Even in the Chopinesque Op. 1 waltz of this topic he isn't completely indebted to Chopin. He already has his own style at Op. 1, and I find it great that he can make you think, "Whoah, I didn't expect that note, but I love it!"

"When one does a thing, it appears good, otherwise one would not write it. Only later comes reflection, and one discards or accepts the thing. Time is the best censor, and patience a most excellent teacher." - Frédéric Chopin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:48 am 

Exactly!!!

But only if it's played properly...

There are times when you're listening to somebody play, and it sounds like crap. Then they try saying: "It's not my fault! It's Scriabin's! He put a wierd note there..."

But that's just people being stupid... :shock:

And if you look even futher back than op. 1, to the sonata-fantasy, that I believe was written when he was either 12 or 13... you can still see that he had his own voice, right from the beginning.
I think that's the mark of a great composer. Every great composer always has his own style... they don't just rip it off from somebody else.

Too bad Scriabin died so young... He could have finished Mysterium...

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:52 am 

Some of his stuff, like Mysterium, is too... weird for me (I don't know how else to put it). I like pretty much all of his tonal stuff, and the late sonatas are as strange as I'll listen.

I guess I can say that I like the unexpected things he does, but only to an extent. He got too weird toward the end of his life for most people, I think.

"When one does a thing, it appears good, otherwise one would not write it. Only later comes reflection, and one discards or accepts the thing. Time is the best censor, and patience a most excellent teacher." - Frédéric Chopin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:56 am 

chopinman0901 wrote:
Some of his stuff, like Mysterium, is too... weird for me (I don't know how else to put it). I like pretty much all of his tonal stuff, and the late sonatas are as strange as I'll listen.

I guess I can say that I like the unexpected things he does, but only to an extent. He got too weird toward the end of his life for most people, I think.

Would you believe that I actually used to feel the same way?

It took me a while to adjust myself to the later works... but after a lot of listening to them... it eventually just clicked. Now they're some of my favorites. :D

But I still adore the early works! He really brought new life into a fading style, which was being replaced by new modernist views...

Then he created his own modernist ideas... and I learned to love them!

But... the first time I heard his "Black Mass" Sonata... I remember being sooo freaked out, thinking it was the worst thing I'd ever listened to...
Now I listen to it all the time!
But... the White Mass sonata took me the longest to grow accustomed to, because at first, I couldn't quite understand it... now I do!

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:07 am 

I believe Scriabin has a different (and in my opinion, much better) atonality than that of Schoenberg and the others. His music is almost a mix of Romantic, Impressionist, and Modernist; it is difficult to classify him.

We like him because he is like other composers, while at the same time he is completely unlike any others. I know that doesn't make sense :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:46 am 

Yes... Schoenberg is a very... wierd ... atonality.

The whole concept behind 12 tone technique is essentially that of randomnimity. He is purposely forgoing all standard musical thoughts, and using mathamatical formulae to become as random as possible. That's not music. That's just math. And bad math at that... It makes his music seem so detached and unemotional...

But Scriabin... his later music is still a romantic expression of the ecstacy that is life. Just in new terms that not everybody can understand. Sometimes you have to stop "listening" to the music, and you have to "feel" it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:20 am 

Perfectly said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:45 am 

I would do A natural and the A flat as written

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:59 am 

Whoops! I just realized that I never actually checked my score to find out what it said... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Well, according to my copy of this piece, that A does have a natural sign in front of it. And all of my recordings I have of that piece have the pianist playing it with the natural... so I would assume whole-heartedly that it's supposed to be A-Natural all the way through.