Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: pieces for 2008
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:47 pm 

what do you want to achieve next year?

My present goal is to finish learning of all of my present pieces that i have by Jan '08 and finish learning the other 12 chopin etudes that i'm working on by June'08.

my teacher has encouraged me to work on more extra repertoire since I have so much time to spare so this is what i'm going to start learning next year after I complete what i'm working on.

another classical sonata: Schubert Sonata in a minor D.845
another romantic and early 20th C piece: debussy/ravel/schumann/maybe liszt if I can find a piece with fewer octaves
1 Bach P+F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:01 pm 

My goals aren't as adventurous as yours, since my technique doesn't come very easily at all. My goal is to be ready to perform Bach's entire E minor partita by the end of the year (I've already got some good work done on the toccata, and I'm working on the gigue now), resurrect a few Chopin etudes that I've never quite worked up, to varying degrees of imperfection, and to put a couple of Shostakovich prelude and fugue sets under my belt, and a few standalone preludes too, and to expand my repertoire even further, which of course will be an ongoing project that I'm sure Piano Society will help with as much in the future as it has up to this point. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:22 am 

Redo Liszt's H.Rhapsody #5. Schubert-Liszt "Ihr Bild".

That should take about 9-11 months to do. See you in 2009 :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:21 am 

I have enough on my plate to last me till this summer. In addition to my final recital at Texas Christian University, I am also doing a professional recording for a greek composer.
Then I am auditionning for the DMA at trhe University of Colorado-Boulder and I am also looking for teaching jobs

Post subject: Re: pieces for 2008
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:09 pm 
>what do you want to achieve next year?

I think to re-record some pieces already here (but recocorded with digital)
And I'll try to play some new Schubert-Liszt and Mendelssohn-Liszt, and
one between "Miserere from Trovatore" and "S. Francesco da Paola Legend"
(but this last is more a dream than a project...)
Other Scarlatti Sonatas, Galuppi....now I'm very interested in Rameau (encouraged from the first his
pieces I'm recording) and in other french masters (Balbastre and Duphly) of the generation after Couperin and Rameau.

All best, and happy new year to all of you,
Sandro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:15 am 

My new year's resolution:

To learn Scriabin's Etude in B Minor, op. 8, no. 3

If I die at sometime this year... you'll all know why.

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:50 am 

demonic_advent wrote:

Mind over matter :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:56 am 

I WILL RECORD FIVE CHOPIN ETUDES! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:16 am 

juufa72 wrote:
demonic_advent wrote:

Mind over matter :wink:

That's easier said than done...

With all that... "flippiness" going on.

And apparently I can't think of a word to describe the technical demands of that piece other than "flippiness."

So maybe my mind isn't quite strong enough...

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:53 am 
Somehow, it seems fitting that the first post of mine on this forum should slide in here.

Starting by end of January (after conservatory exams), deadline end of August:
Bach: Toccata in e minor, D major P&F, some other P&F's, possibly
Beethoven: op. 90. 'Nuff said.
Either Chopin's 2nd Scherzo, or 2nd Ballade, or Brahms g minor rhapsody. Currently leaning towards the Brahms, but that's because I've listened to it yesterday. :P But not a high-priority item.
Martinu: Butterflies and Birds of Paradise, hopefully complete... (Huge!)
Janacek: Sonata I. X. 1905 (Woo, huuuge!)
Prokofiev: March op. 33 (Yes, from the Abnormal Affinity for a Triplet of Citrus Fruit), just for fun (plus it makes a good encore, too)
Shostakovich: Three fantastic dances (If I find the time to do it, that is, but they're fairly easy)

I suppose a number of etudes, Cramer or Chopin or Rachmaninoff or even Prokofiev, will also have to fit in there somewhere. But, heck, I have seven months to do it, that's over 200 days... should suffice... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:01 pm 

make sure you record them and post it on this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:27 am 

Beethoven Op. 10 sonatas. Brahms Handel Variations and Fugue, and Schumann's Carnaval for an April recital, and hopefull the Barber Sonata and maybe a Brahms Concerto over the summer. i don't know after that...i would like to try to win a competition of some sort and make some money!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:10 am 

PJF wrote:
I WILL RECORD FIVE CHOPIN ETUDES! :evil:

geez, don't bust a blood vessel ... I'll be happy just to get one done ... and one of Liszt's! hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:15 am 
Site Admin

Ah new year's resolutions... I don't really have many.
Just finish off the WTC II and Shostakovich Op.87 sets, re-record the KDF and all the Mazurkas, and play as much Kapustin as humanly possible. Some little things on the wayside perhaps, time permitting. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:49 am 

Brush up, (fully) memorise and record the following:

Beethoven Op 10 No 3
Hindemith Sonata No 2
Bach WTC C# minor Bk 1, F# minor Bk II
Rachmaninoff Op 32/1 & 2

Learn:

Schubert D845
Prokofiev Sonata 8 (1st and 3rd movements, 2nd already most of the way there)

This last one will be by far technically the most difficult work I have ever attempted... and probably the most difficult one for my family to have to hear my attempts ;)

-Michael B.

Post subject: Pieces for 2008
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:07 am 

Hello,

I've just joined this forum. I started learning the piano as an adult and it's become a real passion for me.

I'm working on an ATCL recital diploma at the moment. I've chosen Mozart's K311 sonata, Beethoven's Andante in F, a posthumous waltz by Chopin (e minor) and Debussy's Jardins sous la Pluie.

I'm concentrating on the above repertoire for the time being, but I also have Mozart's Fantasy in C minor under way. If I pass the ATCL (possibly in the summer), I would like to learn Debussy's Pour le Piano and definitely more Chopin - possibly some studies, but they do look a bit scary (I've never tried them but I've heard Perahia play them).

I have a long list of pieces I would love to play, but it's all a wish list at the moment and I ought to be working on the problems with my existing recital: quality of tone, balancing chords, octaves (the ones in the Beethoven hurt so much because I have small hands!), uneven scales in Mozart, timing issues .... you name it, but here I am dreaming of learning yet more difficult music.

All the best.

Post subject: Re: Pieces for 2008
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Chopinesque wrote:
here I am dreaming of learning yet more difficult music.

Aren't we all.... join the gang !
I meant to say - welcome to PS :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Hi Chopinesque -
You are working on quite an ambitious collection of music. I like that Mozart, and the Chopin waltz I think is pretty hard. I also dream a lot about playing certain music, but what is even better is to put the music up on your piano and just try reading through parts. When I do this, I usually say to myself, "forget it, I'll never get this one." But low and behold, after a few more run-throughs, I'm actually able to make some music out the music. :lol: I may not ever get the piece down well enough to perform or record, but at least I challenged myself and have always learned something that benefits me in all the other pieces I play.

BTW - Just two days ago, I started seriously practicing my first Chopin etude. It's probably the easiest one in the book (grrrr - don't have the book in front of me and can't remember what key it's in) but it's a start.

Good luck with your studies.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:23 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Just two days ago, I started seriously practicing my first Chopin etude. It's probably the easiest one in the book (grrrr - don't have the book in front of me and can't remember what key it's in) but it's a start.

Op. 10 No. 6 in E-flat minor? That's the easiest etude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Terez wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Just two days ago, I started seriously practicing my first Chopin etude. It's probably the easiest one in the book (grrrr - don't have the book in front of me and can't remember what key it's in) but it's a start.

Ok – I just ran for my book. The one I am playing is Op. 25, no. 7 in C-sharp minor. Do you know it? It’s so sad and gorgeous! I love it!! Some tricky parts but I expected that. Can’t stop playing it today, plus I just found some more brand new music (Copland) that I can’t wait to learn. I have hardly left my piano all morning. So far, I’m having a great day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:28 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Terez wrote:
pianolady wrote:

Ok – I just ran for my book. The one I am playing is Op. 25, no. 7 in C-sharp minor. Do you know it? It’s so sad and gorgeous! I love it!! Some tricky parts but I expected that. Can’t stop playing it today, plus I just found some more brand new music (Copland) that I can’t wait to learn. I have hardly left my piano all morning. So far, I’m having a great day.

Yeah, I know it, and yeah, it's awesome...but it's far from the easiest etude. :P Those left hand runs are no joke...either the little ones or the big ones. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Terez wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Terez wrote:
pianolady wrote:

Yeah, I know it, and yeah, it's awesome...but it's far from the easiest etude. :P Those left hand runs are no joke...either the little ones or the big ones. :D

I know what you mean. All of those runs are giving me trouble. If Chopin is 'up there' listening, he probably has his fingers in his ears, because I'm pretty terrible. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:04 pm 

Be especially careful on the second page (every edition I've ever seen has the same page divisions) - it's highly chromatic, and an easy spot to make reading errors. lol...I'm sure you knew that already, but I've heard this performed with apparent reading errors that became habitual several times by several different pianists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:35 pm 
Hi! I'm new to the forum but i have been visiting piano society for a year now.

Currently among many things I am working on the 1st and 2nd mvts of Mozarts Sonata K.333, i've already got the third down. I am also learning the 2nd mvt of Beethoven's Sonata No. 27 op 90.

I have my senior recital in late may where i am going to playing "Three Preludes" by Kent Kennan and "The White Peacock" by Griffes. I am going to need all the luck i can get with the last two! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:06 pm 

PianoBagels wrote:
Hi! I'm new to the forum but i have been visiting piano society for a year now.

Currently among many things I am working on the 1st and 2nd mvts of Mozarts Sonata K.333, i've already got the third down. I am also learning the 2nd mvt of Beethoven's Sonata No. 27 op 90.

I have my senior recital in late may where i am going to playing "Three Preludes" by Kent Kennan and "The White Peacock" by Griffes. I am going to need all the luck i can get with the last two! :wink:

You wouldn't happen to be a student at Loyola, would you?

Pete