Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Barber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:45 pm 

You could knock me over with a feather! :!: I still can't believe that you are playing something this modern. Are dissonances growing on ya? Very good job. I enjoyed it. It's my first time hearing this piece and I really like parts of it. Keep up the good work.

I agree that if you think you're fat, you must be anorexic.

The quality of the video is very good. I particularly liked it because the picture and sound were synchronized. :) Videos which are not synchronized make me nervous. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
PS - the stalking is SO back on!

Uh, oh!
(Kidding - I'm not afraid of you, anymore. :lol:)

I have several dresses that I think you would like. Black, red or gold sequins? But only if you play piano and I lay on top of the piano and sing like Michelle Pheiffer did in the movie, The Baker Boys. I'm pretty sure she didn't climb on that piano without help, though. I could just imagine me doing that in a dress. Would not be very lady-like and sophisticated. Probably scary, too!

John R - dissonances. Go figure! When I first heard some of these Barber pieces, I wasn't that crazy about them. But now...I dunno...can't explain it. This first one has grown on me and now I love it. Also the others in the set too. Weird.

No problem with anorexia for me! I love to eat. And right now is the 'fat' season - too many goodies sitting around the house. Plus no time to exercise. After New Years is when I try to back in shape.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:15 pm 

Well pianolady, to answer your question from another thread here,
I guess we don't know each other :) Very nice playing!
We can carpool to Orchestra Hall anytime, I think you and my GF would
hit it off quite nicely. People would think you two are sisters.

Who is your teacher? I need a new one since mine went back to school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

bclever - go to your private messages.

And btw - GF? Grand Father? :shock: I didn't think I looked that old. :lol:

I'll see you at the Brahms/Kissin concert because I have Thursday night tickets too. Actually, I'll see you but I won't know it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:26 am 

I would imagine GF means girlfriend! :roll:

Quote:
And right now is the 'fat' season - too many goodies sitting around the house.

I read somewhere that the average American gains 12 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Year's. A bunch of fatties, all! :oops:

Brahms/Kissin?? Which concerto? I'm so jealous ... we never get any headliners here. *sigh* I guess I should be happy we still have a functioning symphony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:36 am 
Site Admin

nathanscoleman wrote:
I would imagine GF means girlfriend! :roll:

Hm, GF, let's see... Ground Fog, Good Fun, Gruppen Fuehrer ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Oh, all right! Grand Father is the first thing that came to my mind. Guess I had another 'dumb' moment.
Girl Friend makes me feel much better. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:31 pm 

techneut, Alas, Ground Fog is very much closer to the truth than girlfriend! But that's a completely different thread :) Not to rub salt in your wounds Nathan but Kissin will be playing the Brahms
first concerto. A few weeks ago we got to see Emanuel Ax play the second concerto.
I learned a painful lesson that day. To me, Emanuel Ax and the Brahms concertos are the dream
team. So in my usual brilliant style I plunked down the extra bucks for box seats, thinking wow
what a view this will be! At Orchestra Hall in Chicago the box seats are not reserved so we got
to the concert an hour and a half early so we could sit in the very front of the box and revel in
the splendor. Well, that day they played Mozart's symphony No25 first and some other
new piece by the resident composer and then the intermission comes. Now, there were all
these old ladies in the box with us, and they were dressed very fine, and I could hear them
squalking stuff about "who are they?" "what are they doing here?" "maybe we should tell them about the rules???" and all this kind of thing.

Well I did not know it and they sure educated me that in the box seats every body switches
positions during the intermission so that those in back can see from a "different perspective".
WHAT???? Fine, I'm fair so we moved to the back. And here is the lesson, the "different perspective"
is that if you are not in the front, you CAN'T SEE ANYTHING!!!! I will never ever buy box seats there
again. The only thing we got out of the experience is something to talk about because those
finely dressed ladies turned out to be some of the richest ladies in Chicago and the U.S.
(next to Oprah that is), the oldest of them was Mrs. Armour (from Armour Meats fame)
who as Monica might know is the donor for the renovation of the stage at Orchestra Hall
(it's called the Armour Stage).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

bclever wrote:
WHAT???? Fine, I'm fair so we moved to the back.

Oh but you are just too good. I'd have stood my ground and said I'd come specifically to see EmAx up close, and if I'd have known the rules (which I couldn't have) I would have sat in the back for the first half, and that I'd do it properly the next time, but NOT now. Or you could have your Gruppen Fuehrer say that to them :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:33 pm 

Kissin playing the 1st?? *swooning just a bit in a jealous fit* .... Although, I've never heard him play the Brahms. But I have a recording of his Prokofiev 1st ... and it is sublime. The best ever! The Brahms # 1 is possibly my all time favorite ... if played well. Not played well, it's dreadful. Have you heard the Arrau? Those second movement trills are divine. Ok, I'm gonna stop waxing poetic now. Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:04 am 

pianolady wrote:
Terez - Have you ever played this piece? It's kind of weird, but I played it better last week. This week my fingers are not working right together and having a hard time keeping up with the pulse. I know...keep practicing.

Yes, I did play through it a good bit when I was looking for something contemporary for my jury, and it's not nearly as easy as you make it look - so many of the fingering problems are just...awkward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:09 am 

juufa72 wrote:
Terez wrote:
juufa72 wrote:
But you have two children whom are in their mid-teen years.

What, is there some sort of set age at which women have children? :roll:

No, but if her kids are, say, 13 and 15 then she needs to be older than 34. That would mean that her first child was born when she was 19. Young. So I thought that the average age of a woman giving birth to a first child is around 25. Meaning that her true age is probably higher than 34.

Then considering how women are, I rounded down to give a happy number :D

A few good rules of thumb when it comes to women are:

1: Never consider how they are, because you're wrong.
2: When it comes to a woman's person, there's no such thing as a happy number, especially those that are need of downward rounding.
3: Don't remind them how many kids they have, unless they're all married, fruitfully multiplying, college grads.

Of course, I'm kidding. Or am I... :?