Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Do you have a favorite key?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Just taking a break from practicing and got to thinking about this. My first answer to this question was going to be the key of E-flat major. The piece I was just playing ends in a low E-flat major chord, and I just love the way that sounds. Goes right into my soul. Then I did a brief flip through books sitting on my piano and discovered that many of my favorite pieces are in D-flat major. So now I am changing my mind. I like D-flat best. But then almost as many pieces I like are in A-flat major, which to me is an easy key to remember – you know, just spell the word, b-e-a-d /flats. I guess the question is not as easy to answer as I thought it would be. I will stick to E-flat and D-flat major because of the way they sound in lower register harmonies. Anybody else have a favorite key?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:44 pm 

My favorite key would definitely have to be E Major. I think that it sounds so beautiful, especially when you have some E Major chords then an F#-A-C natural-E chord. Basically E Major sounds really good with A Minor. Pianolady, it would sound really nice if you tried Eb Major then G# Minor, or Db Major with F# Minor. My system for finding keys that sound really good together is take the fourth note of the major key scale, and use the minor key of that note. Everyone probably already knew this though :oops: .

Anyway, to answer your question again, my favorite key is E Major. It's just so beautiful! Pieces like Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, the second movement of Grieg's third violin sonata, and the second movement of Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto are all in E Major, and they all touch me so much! E Major all the way!! Just kidding...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

My favourite key is the lowest one on my grand. It sounds sooo good. Don't get to hit it very often, but when it happens (like in the closing of Debussy's l'Isle Joyeuse) I make the most of it. Having said that, the B flat next to is is very nice too :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:16 pm 

B flat major.....best piece written in this key? I would have to say Brahm's second piano concerto 8)

Post subject: fav. key
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:16 pm 

For some reason I usually like minor keys, especially C# minor and D minor. I have no idea why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:07 pm 

I think out of the minor keys, my favorite would have to be C Minor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

So do you think your favorite key (signature) depicts your personality? Happy people like major keys and grumpy people like minor keys? Can it be that simple?

I am usually an upbeat person, so choosing a major key as my favorite seems to fit my personality. Right? Again, that was my first response to the question. However, admitting that I also am a very passionate person, and seeing some others here say they favor minor keys, I re-thought my answer. (I know, too much thinking today) One of my favorite pieces is Chopin’s 1st Ballade – g-minor, and my second favorite nocturne which I’m practicing now is in c# minor, so yes, I do love to play plenty of sad, dark, minor pieces that rip out your heart. In reality, it is the drama I like best - and you can’t have drama without some darkness. So to answer my own question: Or course it is not that simple. Still, that nocturne ends in a c# major chord, which sounds so nice - it hurts, so I will stay with major keys being my favorite; especially d-flat major, which sounds the same as c# major, right? What a coincidence. :)

Last edited by pianolady on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:22 pm 

D-flat major has been my favorite ever since I started listening to music. I haven't come up with a logical/harmonic reason to explain why except that to my ears, all the overtones match up perfectly in that key. In a minor key, I say D#.

My least liked are D and A major, and in minor, C. Those never sound quite right to my ears.

Why? I dunno.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:09 pm 

Quote:
My favourite key is the lowest one on my grand. It sounds sooo good. Don't get to hit it very often, but when it happens (like in the closing of Debussy's l'Isle Joyeuse) I make the most of it.

First movement of the Grieg Concerto!

I don't think I have a favorite key, but I did notice that a lot of my favorites are in D-flat Major and F Minor. I don't think there are any keys that I don't like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:32 pm 

My favorite key sounds surreal...err I think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:25 pm 
F# minor and the rare Eb minor. But also F minor and C# minor
Between major keys.....mumble....Ab major and Eb major.

All best,
Sandro
waiting for his new "Rieger-Kloss" piano model "Janacek" (now I had to study some pieces of Janacek, of sure).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:38 am 
Site Admin

Sandro, getting a new piano is so exciting! I bet you can't wait. Maybe you can take pictures when it arrives. And then you will re-record all of your music on the new piano, right? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:45 am 
> Sandro, getting a new piano is so exciting! I bet you can't wait.

It remains for 20-25 days (holidays, they cannot carry it) at the dealer's room, with other 30-40 pianos. But today I'll visit it.
I hope that when it will be here he does't feel alone....

> Maybe you can take pictures when it arrives. And then you will re-record all of your music on the new piano, right?

This is my idea. It will be more difficult (actually, with my digital is so simple: line out to
the computer, no problem for external noises...), but I hope in a better sound.
Let's go to study: today LvB op. 57 first movement (let's try to make sweeter all that
arpeggios and virtuosistic passagges, to render them less Czerny or Hanon), Chopin op.44,
and a transcription from a Bill Evans piano solo (Town hall concert. The piece is
"Turn out the stars". One can not realize how beautiful this piece is).

All best,
Sandro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:48 am 
I don't have perfect pitch. So they all sound the same to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:45 am 
Site Admin

krstone wrote:
I don't have perfect pitch. So they all sound the same to me.

Can't be easy to enjoy music if all keys sound the same :P