Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Unheard of Ravel Work?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:12 pm 

Hi, there is this Ravel work simply titled Valse in D Major that I have seen pop up (just the name) on a few occasions. From what I have gathered it was composed in 1898 and is approximately 11:50 in length. Has anyone else heard of this? I'd sure like to hear what it sounds like or find the sheet music to it. Also if you go to allmusic.com and search for it, you'll find that there are two albums that have the work in it, but unfortunately I can't find them on iTunes, Amazon, anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:10 pm 

I just had a breakthrough!! This Valse in D Major could very well be La Valse! I mean, it is about the same length and they're both waltzes in d major. But if this is true, why would they be listed seperately?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:21 am 

different editions under different names?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:25 am 
Site Admin

If this was composed in 1898 as you say, it can't be La Valse. That work was completed in 1919/1920 and it is based on sketches that were started in 1906.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:34 pm 

Oh, maybe it was just like the first version of it or something (kind of like how Rachmaninoff had two versions of his 2nd sonata published many years apart). But I wish I could hear some of it or find the sheet music to it. Or even just some more info!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

I do not know what it is and it is not listed in the "complete solo piano music by Ravel CD" I have by Angela Hewitt. Are you sure it is not an orchestra work rewritten for piano? But a waltz for orchestra...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:14 pm 

Well, just like some "complete" Chopin CD sets don't have the Waltz in F-sharp Minor you have on the site, maybe some people don't think it's an authentic Ravel work. Just a possibility. I just looked, and that CD doesn't even have his Menuet in C-sharp Minor that I have a recording of either, so it's not really complete.
I wish there was a Ravel scholar who we could ask and find out the truth from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:24 pm 

Could it be La Parade? It was composed around 1898 and is not yet published, but it occurs on some of Ravels CD's. It has a duration about 11 minutes, and contains both a walse and a march-thing, and some other stuf, dunno, but I like that piece very much. Sheets are to be published soon, for the first time. I've heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:38 pm 

You know what, I just found out from someone who asked a Ravel scholar that the Valse in D Major "was a piece of juvenilia totally unrelated to the La Valse and was somewhat merged into another early composition called La Parade. Both of these were never published and from looking at a picture of the Valse, I'm told it's nothing at all interesting and could have been written by me or you. There has never been a recording of this work and only one or two of La Parade."

So you were right Svane! I wonder how the work was recorded when it isn't even published, though. Although... since it isn't published I think it is in the public domain. No one would happen to have the music to it, would they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:20 pm 

Those who have recorded it went to the national library in France for the sheets, the original handwriting by Ravel is there, you are allowed to copy it. However, I've heard that La Parade IS going to be published soon, by Durand I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:26 pm 

That would be wonderful if it's published!! Since you said you've heard it before, does it sound like typical Ravel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:28 pm 

Actually... It's not what you'd expect from ravel. But he's there, no doubt. I can mail you the audio file or attach to this forum if you'd like.