Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Can I avoid Hanon or Czerny?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:53 am 
Hello can I avoid from studying or playing pieces of Hanon or Czerny? And by the way, are they useful?

In my opinion Bach's inventions or sinfonias contains many useful technical works but of course they sound great! I think to play Bach for technical work instead Hanon or Czerny is better.

Your opinions?

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:09 am 

I think you cannot avoid czerny I don't play hannon so I don't know... But czerny is sooo important!

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'

Post subject: so what does Chang Hong's Bk of Fundamentals of Piano...say?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:12 am 
So if you have read this book, I don't know why he suggests that you don't play any czerny or hanon?

first of all is his book all right or completely right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:08 pm 

I think you can avoid both. There are a few other composers who wrote technical exercises (Brahms, Saint-Saens, etc.) And there are always the Bach pieces, Liszt/Chopin etudes etc.

Hannon isn't worth your while. 80% of the exercises are in the same key.

If you had to pick one go with Czerny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:44 pm 

and if you want to practise hannon you could try it in another key! you will learn much and you technic will be better!

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:32 am 

I've never played Czerny, so I have no comment on it. I always have played Hanon. My technique is well developed, so I don't really practice scales or Hanon anymore; the sheer volume of my workload gives my hands all the training they need.

If I encounter technical trouble, first I identify the problem, then (before I resort to Hanon), I fix it by finding a piece that addresses that problem throughout. Here's an example.

Problem: Repeditive octaves in Schubert's "Erlking" cause cramps in the arm.
Solution: Chopin's etude opus 25, No.10 (learned in part or in its entirety)

The "Erlking" won't seem so hard anymore, because you have learned lessons in octave technique from the Chopin etude. This is not the only solution. Hanon's repeditive octave exersise could also be very effective.

Pete

Post subject: Re: Can I avoid Hanon or Czerny?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:21 am 

Stephen Farrugia wrote:
In my opinion Bach's inventions or sinfonias contains many useful technical works but of course they sound great! I think to play Bach for technical work instead Hanon or Czerny is better.

In my youth I had to play some Czerny and Hanon. Don't think that it was very useful or more useful as good sounding "real" compositions. So I have the same opinion as you with Bach playing for developing the technique. One can combine doing something useful for the technique while playing great compositions that way :D

Post subject: Re: Can I avoid Hanon or Czerny?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:14 am 

MindenBlues wrote:
Stephen Farrugia wrote:

In my youth I had to play some Czerny and Hanon. Don't think that it was very useful or more useful as good sounding "real" compositions. So I have the same opinion as you with Bach playing for developing the technique. One can combine doing something useful for the technique while playing great compositions that way :D

Indeed, the point is to make music, not just to push buttons in rapid succession. Of course, being an efficient technician is not a bad thing, it's just easy to lose musical sensitivity with purely physical practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:23 am 

Vladmir Horowitz said dry technical exercises are useless and bad for ear.....
You can avoid them if you want because I never played Czerny either (I played Hanon though)
But I much prefer Bach inventions and sinfonias :D

Post subject: Complete Hanon
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:56 pm 

In my experience with the Hanon, they're good exercieses to warm up with before playing other pieces...but it depends on which Hanon book you have...the Complete Hanon has some incredibly good exercises in the end that will definately prepare anyone for the Chopin 3rd and Octaves etude. Other than that, I like doing the Hanon as just warmups instead of scales...they're more interesting to me.