Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Schubert Impromptu no 2 in Eb op 90 Help!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:41 am 

How important is the Una Corda Pedal in the works of Schubert’s Impromptus ? Una corda ?

I am playing the Schubert Impromptu no 2 in Eb op 90, and my teacher has asked me to use the U.C pedal in section B ( bars 25-26) and then Tre Corda in bars ( 27-28 ) and so on to show the difference between these 2 dynamic shades.

If you can manage a good pp with your fingers ,is the Una corda Pedal necessary? Since there are not U.C pedal markings, I guess this is up to interpretation. But what are your thoughts about this and your experience on interpretation?

I am having trouble with the Damper Pedal and Una Corda pedal Coordination, so I thought its best that I leave out the U.C and try to focus on achieving the pp with my fingers.

Any advice ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:13 pm 

Not an advice, but a general remark to the function of the left pedal of a grand piano: The una corda pedal leads to a tone with lower intensity (only two strings are struck) but longer fade away (the third string takes the energie later and phase-delayed) so that one obtains also another sound. If a composer indicates una corda he wants to have that different sound. Una corda is not at all a substitution for good pp played with fingers.

Christiane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:30 am 

I agree with Christiane; your teacher wants you to hold down the una corda primarily to produce a different tone color. I love to do that with the repeating phrases in Brahms' A Major Intermezzo, for instance. Don't be afraid or ashamed to use the una corda... you can capture some beautiful effects with it!

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn