Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Slow and rusty fingers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:53 am 
Hi! I'm new to this forums, found out about it just recently. Anyhoo, here's the thing. I've been playing the piano since I was... i forgot x.x around 6-7 or something. Now I'm 18, and i've neglected piano for around 3 years already. I became an addict of computer games in pc, and so this is my dilema.

In computer games right, my hand hardly moves at all, or my positioning of my hand (curled up to the shape of the mouse). Now, when i play the piano, i found out my fingers lost their... touch. they don't move uniformly anymore, I can't control them, they've become stiff in the joints.

I wanna ask, is there any hope for me? I recently became interested in piano again after seeing some FF pieces, and alot of them requires fast, strong, and most importantly, controlled and fluid fingers. I want to ask if there's any exercise, what route should i be doing, to make my fingers smooth and fluid again? (i think the problem is in my finger joints, somehow they've grown stiff and don't want to move as much anymore :c) oh and exercises for building up speed too? :)

Sorry if this is quite noobish, but i haven't had a piano teacher in... actually... 5 years or so o.o

Scales? finger exercises maybe? any tips? :s

Post subject: Re: Slow and rusty fingers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:37 pm 

Heya,

I suppose you could try some Hanon or Bach's inventions. You shouldnt start off with difficult pieces, but you should try to regain your "touch" by playing simple things.

Oh, and there's no reason to feel hopeless. I play computer games a lot myself too, but it never affected my ability to play the piano. I'm guessing you just never sat down and played something in the past few months; anyone would get 'rusty' fingers from that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:56 pm 

No, not too noobish. :lol:

This is a complicated question; the best I can do is say some overly concise statements. Start easily. When in doubt, play slower and softer. Coordinate your mind first and the fingers will likely follow. Read up on the subject of piano technique. Consider getting a teacher. Do gentle stretching of the hands, arms and trunk. Breathe in time. Sing first what you want to play. Count. Avoid distraction when practicing. Make sure your intentions and your actions are in sync.

Goals that you don't write down are simply wishes.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:09 am 

Maybe I could summarize my previous post...Start easily and progress carefully and logically.

Bach Inventions may be a good choice for achieving that. Careful with Hanon; it's very easy to over-train one's hands with purely physical exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:39 am 
Site Admin

Ha, another opportunity to donate my pet advice :wink:
Play Bach and everything will be given to you. Eventually, or course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:21 am 

techneut wrote:
Play Bach and everything will be given to you. Eventually, or course.

You mean the kingdom of heaven, don't you... :lol:
Normally I'd agree with you about this, but playing Bach is not enough to build up an all-round technique.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject: Bach
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:45 pm 

Since you mentioned the kingdom of heaven, I must say that when it comes to Bach, I'm a believer.
His work is so vast I truly believe it does cover (almost) every aspect of technique.
I don't see anyone who has played his complete keyboard works having any difficulty playing Chopin, Liszt or Beethoven.
Some say his works are the "Old Testament" of music, I believe it is the whole bible (and that's been said before).

:-)

Marcelo

Post subject: Re: Bach
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:34 pm 

mgasilva wrote:
His work is so vast I truly believe it does cover (almost) every aspect of technique.

Speaking of technique, vastness is not scope. You can successfully play Bach, whose technique is essentially finger-centric, even if your octaves suck, or you haven't the faintest what arm technique is, or you discover to be stuck with a Chopin Etude. Let alone much of the XX century repertoire.

mgasilva wrote:
I don't see anyone who has played his complete keyboard works having any difficulty playing Chopin, Liszt or Beethoven.

Nobody starts playing those composers after having studied the most meaningful part if not all of Bach's keyboard production. How could you possibly prove your statement? Here on Earth a pianist's technical nourishment is supplied by a varied diet.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:43 pm 

I agree with Alf - Bach requires a very specific sort of technique. Running the gamut of Bach will certainly give you a good start on Chopin études, but you'll still have a lot of work to do.