Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Members who wish to become Piano Society composers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

We have decided to no longer have Piano Society composers listed in the main ‘Composers’ navigation tree on the main site. Nor will Piano Society composers have a separate page listing their original compositions. From now on, our composers will be listed only in the ‘Artists’ tree and their personal bio page is where they can list their compositions and add some text about the compositions if they like. Also, from this point forward, any new members wishing to have their original compositions on the main site will still have to go the traditional route of having to have their music accepted by the board, but they will also be required to submit three recordings of themselves playing music from other classical composers. This is merely to simplify things for your hard-working administrators, as there was too much duplicating going on.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: Re: Members who wish to become Piano Society composers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:16 pm 

This seems acceptable, but how will the public know who is not only a pianist but also a composer?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:57 am 
Site Admin

That, I guess, is one drawback of the new scheme.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:08 am 

I think you will end up losing all composers without gaining any new pianists. If to find a composer someone needs to comb through a list of 250 artists, this one just will go elsewhere and the intelligent composer will post accordingly. You should at least make a list somewhere of "pianists and composers", even if you do not add separate links to their compositions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

No offense, but I just couldn't stand seeing our composers mixed into the same list as Chopin, Beethoven, and Mozart. [code][/code]I did make a separate list but took it down. Guess I will have to put it back up. I will try to do so this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:47 pm 

[quote="pianolady"]No offense, but I just couldn't stand seeing our composers mixed into the same list as Chopin, Beethoven, and Mozart. [code][/code]I did make a separate list but took it down. Guess I will have to put it back up. I will try to do so this weekend.[/quote]

I appreciate your sentiment Monica.
How about a list called "Member Composers"?
Eddy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:27 pm 

I think Eddy's idea is a good one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:31 pm 

I think this way you would actually add value to member composers as it would become clear Tucker is out there writing and not just an entry in the encyclopaedia. I must say that in the past I did see all those names, Bach, Beethove, Chopin, Willy-Wally... Now, who is Wily-Wally?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
I must say that in the past I did see all those names, Bach, Beethove, Chopin, Willy-Wally... Now, who is Wily-Wally?

Isn't he the guy with the chocolate factory? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:
How about a list called "Member Composers"?

We had that in the past. Decided to take that down and put them with the 'real' composers. Then we found we did not like that either and
decided to integrate them with the Artists.

richard66 wrote:
I think this way you would actually add value to member composers as it would become clear Tucker is out there writing and not just an entry in the encyclopaedia.

Good point. I guess we could easily identify people as composers by putting an asterisk along with their name, or some other convention, in the Artists list on the left. We definitely do NOT want to go back to the situation of extra pages for people who happen to compose.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:24 pm 

"We definitely do NOT want to go back to the situation of extra pages for people who happen to compose."

What if that is the best solution? It's probably enormous work, but Riley (and others, with all due respect) should not be in the same library as Rachmaninoff, yet will not be appreciated by a web visitor as a composer unless he's listed in a composer file of some kind. The simple litmus test for which composer category would be if they are published by a recognized music publisher, i.e., are they a professional or amateur composer. Or, being published as just stated would be the threshold for listing here as a composer. That's my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:32 pm 

[quote="richard66"]I think this way you would actually add value to member composers as it would become clear Tucker is out there writing and not just an entry in the encyclopaedia.[/quote]
Good point. I guess we could easily identify people as composers by putting an asterisk along with their name, or some other convention, in the Artists list on the left. We definitely do NOT want to go back to the situation of extra pages for people who happen to compose.[/quote]

I think it is most important to make it clear who is also a composer or else the PS risks loosing them.

Members who are also composer are marked with a *

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

I think being published is what constitutes being labeled a 'composer'. But the table is back up now and so we need not dwell on whether or not to designate PS composers anymore, okay?